This is an archived static version of the original phylobabble.org discussion site.

Where to publish a teaching paper

Alexis_RAxML

Dear All,

I am running a programming practical in a CS department with some students at the Master’s level. The students essentially re-implemented J. Huelsenbeck’s paper that tests all 200 someting possible time-reversible models (see http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/content/21/6/1123.full) but under Maximum Likelihood using our likelihood library.

Instead of having them write a report, I’d rather like to publish the availability of this little tool somewhere, with a focus on what was done and also on the teaching aspects.

Do you have any suggestions where this could be submitted?

Thank you,

Alexis

trayc7

Hi Alexis,

This sounds like a really interesting paper. Though it seems like it could be too technical for an education-based journal and perhaps too much education for a research-based journal. In any case, if you’re interested in submitting it to an education journal, have you looked into “Evolution: Education & Outreach”? Otherwise, I wonder if you can make a case for it in Systematic Biology. Perhaps talk to one of the editors about any interest there in highlighting education.

Cheers! Tracy

Alexis_RAxML

Dear Tracy,

Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile: and merry Christmas from Athens,

Alexis